We have an exciting client who delivers high-frequency recognition that drives business outcomes for HR and business leaders, from decreased turnover to increased engagement. Designed specifically to meet the needs of today’s workforce, it empowers employees to recognize each other in real time and aligns them to the values and goals of the company. With more than 3 million users, the Employee Experience Platform inspires brilliant performance in 170 countries.
Our client is looking for a Senior Manager, Global Income Tax, to support the VP, Global Tax & Treasury in building out the Company’s internal tax function in a rapid paced environment. The position will primarily be focused on tax reporting, tax compliance and management of external service providers globally to ensure timely and accurate filings of corporate tax filings. The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of US Federal and State tax and general understanding of Canadian income tax. The role offers excellent development opportunities and exposure to global taxation. The role requires a tax professional experienced in both the day-to-day tax department operations as well as management of global compliance calendar. This position will be based out of the Toronto office under a hybrid model.
This position will report directly to the VP, Global Tax & Treasury. This is a Hybrid (2-3 days in office) role based out of Toronto.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the preparation and timely filing of Canadian, US (Federal and State) and foreign tax compliance, with a strong focus on U.S. and Canadian taxation.
- Assist in the preparation and or review of the consolidated annual tax provision under ASC 740 and facilitate the annual financial statement audit of tax accounts.
- Responsible for the Company’s uncertain tax positions analysis and the conclusions related to global tax matters.
- Assist in the review of transfer-pricing activities, develop support related to methodologies and documentation of various intercompany and cross-border transactions.
- Management of tax installments and taxes payable for all domestic, US and foreign legal entities; working with corporate finance and foreign regional controllership teams.
- Assist with global cash tax forecasting within the Company’s annual budget and strategic corporate plans.
- Manage all tax examinations by external auditors and resolve tax issues in the most cost-effective manner. Liaise with domestic & overseas accountants, auditors, tax authorities, and outside advisors.
- Assist the VP, Global Tax & Treasury in the design, execution, and maintenance of tax policies, tax processes and internal tax controls documentation.
- Manage and assess potential SRED and other R&D or tax credit/incentive eligibility.
- Assist with various global income tax, indirect tax, and ad hoc projects.
- Provide tax assistance on corporate development initiatives including research, modeling, due diligence, and structuring evaluations.
- Key tax support to Sales, Customer Support teams in respect of FAQ tax questions.
- Monitor legislative changes in U.S., Canada, and key international jurisdictions that may impact the Company and work with third-party advisors to address any consequences of such changes.
- Perform detailed research within US international tax and foreign tax laws, regulations, and other legal authorities and prepare memos to support the Company’s tax positions.
- Be involved with industry groups to keep abreast of tax developments and concerns.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with other departments, business units and external advisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Tax and/or Finance.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA/CA).
- Masters of Tax and/or CICA In depth Tax I, II, III preferred.
- 10 to 15 years of tax compliance, tax provision, and international tax experience for multi-national corporations, including prior public accounting (Big 4 experience preferred).
- Must have in-depth knowledge of U.S. tax laws/regulations, inclusive of international tax provisions of Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (GILTI, BEAT, FDII, and FTC).
- Experience in ASC 740 Accounting for Income Taxes under U.S. GAAP is a must.
- Familiar with operations of international tax treaty networks and withholding tax.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives concurrently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with U.S. Sales tax compliance is a plus.
- Able to express facts and ideas in writing in a clear, convincing, and organized manner; listen effectively, and clarify information as needed to tax and non-tax internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with the Executives, all levels of management, peers, external auditors, consultants and to participate in operational teams to develop strategies.
- Experience with NetSuite, Avalara and/or comparable software is a plus.